We recommend that you use smaXtec Repeaters to ensure coverage of various and large areas of the cow shed. This enables an easy and low-cost extension of the smaXtec wireless network and communication with the smaXtec Sensors.
SCOPE OF DELIVERY
The smaXtec Repeater packaging contains the following items:
- 1x smaXtec Repeater
- 1x mains adapter (3 m/10 ft cable length)
- 4x screws and 4x wall plugs for mounting
- 1x Quickstart Guide
- 1x Drill template
Should one of these items be missing or damaged, please contact your smaXtec distributor or contact smaXtec directly. Please retain the box and the original packaging material in case you need to return the product for repairs at a later date.
The smaXtec Repeater has the following status LEDs (top left):
Power-LED: Indicates if the smaXtec Repeater is switched on.
Link-LED: Indicates the status of the connection in the wireless network (either to another smaXtec Repeater or to the smaXtec Base Station).
Data-LED: Indicates if data is being read out from smaXtec Sensors.
POWER SUPPLY – MAINS ADAPTER SUPPLIED
The smaXtec Repeater is powered by the mains adapter provided. For installation purposes please only use this mains adapter. At the end of the cable there is a specially constructed plug, which protects the smaXtec Repeater from water and dust. Plug the connector into the socket on the left-hand side of the smaXtec Repeater and tighten the screw cap. The mains adapter itself does not conform to an IP standard with regard to protection against water, i.e. the mains adapter must not be exposed to rain or moisture.
Specifications of the mains adapter:
- Manufacturer: SUNNY Computer Technology Europe, s.r.o.
- Input: 100-240 V ~, 0.5 A MAX, 50-60 Hz
- Output: 5 V — 2.0 A
- Output power: 10 W MAX.
INSTALLATION AND ACTIVATION
Following correct installation of the smaXtec Repeater (see Quickstart Guide) the measurement data are automatically read out from the smaXtec Sensors whenever the cows are within range (read out range is 10 – 30 meters/32 – 98 feet).
The most important steps for successful installation of the smaXtec Repeater are described below:
1. BEFORE INSTALLATION AND ACTIVATION OF THE SMAXTEC REPEATER
Activation in smaXtec Messenger – menu item “Add device”: Device activation is required to ensure the device can be correctly assigned to the user and used in smaXtec Messenger.
2. CHOOSE THE MOST SUITABLE LOCATION FOR THE SMAXTEC REPEATER
Before mounting the smaXtec Repeater, please select the most suitable location as described in the Quickstart Guide. The following points must be observed and implemented:
- Suitable position: Waiting area, milking area, feeding stations, massage brushes (areas in which the cows spend longer periods of time)
- Power outlet must be no further than 3 m/10 ft away as the mains adapter cable provided is 3 m/10 ft long.
- Mount at a minimum height of 2 m/6 ft (not within reach of cows)
- Do not mount in a closed storeroom (transmission problems)
- Position close to the cows (the smaXtec Repeater can read out smaXtec Sensors within a radius of 5 – 10 m/16 – 32 ft)
- An unobstructed view enables greater range for additional smaXtec Repeaters and/or to the smaXtec Base Station
- Do not expose the smaXtec Repeater and the mains adapter to direct sunlight or rain.
3. MOUNTING OF THE SMAXTEC REPEATER
Please follow the steps below:
- Please use the screws and wall plugs provided
- Lift up plastic panel
- Drill mounting holes (please use the drill template provided, see Quickstart Guide)
- Wood: screws are sufficient (pre-drill a 2 mm (1/12”) hole)
- Walls: Use wall plugs (6 mm (1/4”) drill a hole and push in wall plug)
4. CONNECTION TO MAINS ADAPTER
Following proper mounting of the smaXtec Repeater please connect the mains adapter. Please follow the steps below:
- Connect the power supply provided to the smaXtec Repeater and plug in. If there is no plug socket within 3 m/10 ft then it is best to install a new one to the left of the smaXtec Repeater.
- Please note:
- It is not permitted to loop cables around the smaXtec Repeater (transmission problems).
- If possible, the cable should lead to the smaXtec Repeater from above
5. VERIFICATION OF CORRECT FUNCTIONALITY WITH THE HELP OF STATUS LEDS
Following successful completion of all steps, the status of the smaXtec Repeater can be verified with the help of the LEDs. As soon as the mains adapter is connected the smaXtec Repeater starts up. Following successful installation, please check the status of the LEDs:
- smaXtec Repeater has started up: Power LED glows steady green
- connected to the smaXtec Base Station: Link LED glows steady green
The LEDs in detail:
- Glowing green: Started up/OK
- Flashing red/red: Error
- Flashing yellow: Connecting
- Glowing green: Connected to the smaXtec Base Station (either direct or via a smaXtec Repeater)
- Flashing red/red: No connection to the smaXtec Base Station (either direct or via other smaXtec Repeaters)
- Flashing green: Data being read out from smaXtec Sensors
The technical details of smaXtec Repeater:
- Model: US-4046 (North and South America)
- Model: RX-4046 (EU and other countries)
- Dimensions: 160 x 90 x 50 mm (L x B x H)
- Dustproof and waterproof plastic casing (IP 66)
- Antenna for communication with smaXtec Sensors (max. distance 10-30 m/32-98 ft)
- Antenna for communication with smaXtec Base Station/Repeater (max. distance between read-out stations 100 m/328 ft)
- Supplied mains adapter: 100-240V, 2A
- Easy to mount on a wall or wooden post etc.
The following pages might also be of interest for you: