The smaXtec Classic Bolus is designed to provide continuous measurement of activity levels as well as rumen temperature in cows. The data recorded in the smaXtec Classic Bolus is automatically transmitted via the wireless network to the smaXtec Base Station or to a smaXtec Repeater. Due to the dimensions, use of the smaXtec Sensor is also not possible for cows under the age of 18 months and weighing less than 450 kg.
Follow the steps described in the accompanying Quickstart Guide and ensure they are carried out correctly.
- First, please remove the label from the bottom of the smaXtec Classic Bolus. Next, activate the smaXtec Classic Bolus using the magnets provided. If the smaXtec Classic Bolus has been successfully activated, the LED on the bottom of the smaXtec Classic Bolus flashes briefly ever 0.5 seconds. Please note the correct positioning of the magnets as indicated in the Quickstart-Guide.
- Initialisation of the smaXtec Classic Bolus is carried out automatically. If initialisation has been successfully completed the LED lights up every two seconds for a period of 30 minutes. If initialisation fails, the LED flashes very rapidly (every 100 milliseconds) for a period of 30 minutes. If this is the case, please contact customer support.
- After successful initialisation the smaXtec Classic Bolus can be inserted using the smaXtec Sensor Applicator. Following selection of a suitable animal, the animal identification details should be entered in the list provided next to the serial number of the smaXtec Classic Bolus.
- Activation in the smaXtec Messenger by clicking on the + symbol on the right of the menu option Animals: activation of boluses is required to ensure the bolus is correctly assigned to an organisation in smaXtec Messenger.
- After successful installation of the read-out device the measurement data from the smaXtec Classic Bolus can be accessed in smaXtec Messenger within approximately 30 minutes.
Overview of the different LED displays
Flashes briefly every 0.5 seconds: Sensor is activated
Flashes every two seconds for 30 minutes: Sensor has been successfully initialised
Flashes very rapidly (every 100ms) for 30 minutes: An error occurred during initialisation
First insert the smaXtec Classic Bolus into the balling gun, with the sensor shaft (the bottom end) at the head. Push the smaXtec Classic Bolus into the applicator in such a way that the sensor shaft comes to rest at the far end of the applicator. Please ensure that the push rod of the applicator is kept flat – the push rod should not press directly on the sensor shaft. This ensures that the smaXtec Classic Bolus is positioned sensor shaft first in the cow’s stomach. With the cow’s head and neck angled in an extended and straightened position you can now administer the smaXtec Classic Bolus. The front end of the applicator must reach beyond the base of the tongue before the smaXtec Classic Bolus is released. Please ensure that the cow does not eat anything for at least two hours prior to administration of the smaXtec Classic Bolus. It is therefore preferable to administer the smaXtec Classic Bolus in the morning before the first feed.
The technical details of smaXtec Classic Bolus:
- Model: US-1442A (North and South America)
- Model: TX-1442A (EU and other countries)
- Dimensions: 105 x 35 mm (length x diameter)
- Internal antenna
- Internal Li-Ion battery
- Measurement interval: 10 min
- Temperature: Measurement range: 0 – 50°C/32 – 122°F
- Temperature: Relative measurement accuracy (at 39°C/102,2°F): ± 0,05°C/± 0,09°F
- Activity index: 0 to 100
- Battery life: up to 4 years
- Internal measurement value memory: 50 days
- Ruminal fluid resistant – materials tested by the German Agricultural Society (Deutsche Landwirtschafts-Gesellschaft DLG)
The following pages might also be of interest for you: